Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Comparison between Brave New World and United States
Throughout Brave New World there were a few similarities between our world today and that of the distopic society depicted in the book. The first similarity that stood out was that in both societies those who were different were persecuted. Noone allowed Bernard or John to be a part of the groups but singled them out. Similarly the United States tends to leave out the mental ill, the homeless, and those who believe differently. Another similarity is the way the press act. In both societies the press will do anything to get a good story even if it hurts an innocent man. The third similarity is that technology has a big part of their entertainment and daily lives. Although Brave New World is ahead of the United States they enjoy feelies and musical smells while our society uses computers and Ipods.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I like your comparison between their outcasts and ours. I never would have put those two together.
There are more similarities than I thought. When I started reading the different blogs, I saw that people came up with a lot.
I agree with you about the press exploiting innocent people...I didnt think about that before.
i didnt really think of the whole outcast thing either... i guess i wa not thinkin very hard bout the whole thing when i typed cause i sturggled to find the three things i did
I like your connection with the outcasts. However, I think that Bernard and John were different. Nobody wanted to be around Bernard, but everybody wanted to see John. Even when he had run off to his own little house on the outskirts of society to be alone, the people came and found him and turned him into a spectacle again.
Post a Comment