In both the Brave New World and in Utopia the government has been able to take control of the civilians and take away everyone's sense of self. Both worlds are dominated by the social structure and that there is no me, but just the community as a whole. Also in both worlds the people do not spend a lot of time working, but they are not free to do whatever they want. In Utopia people were expected to read and learn and in Brave New World people are suppose to interact.
There are a few things that are good about the Brave New World society. All diseases have been extinguished so everyone is healthy and can work everyday. Also everyone has a place, where they are able to contribute to the community. The mentally ill (epsilons) have work as well as the high ranking individuals (Alphas). No one is made without purpose.
The most disturbing thing I found about the society is the amount of control the drug soma contains. People take it whenever they start feeling anything. It takes away the emotions and thought of the population. Soma is what the government uses to keep the people from wanting more from their lives, and it empowers the government to stay in control.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I totally agree with your ideas on soma. Yeah they may help their civilization, but why would anyone want to be involved with any kindof drug or anything that made you not really feel or see what is really there. I also agree with you that it is nice that everyone has a place in society, although I do not think it is right for them to just be born into a class and not be able to do better or work harder to get further up in a class.
I found the same similarity of both books. I think that both governments downfalls are that they have too much control and give no selfcontrol to its people. I completely agree with your views on soma. No one should have to take a drug just so that they can continually stay happy and civil. I think it is also good how everyone knows their place in society. On the otherhand, it gives them no chance to improve or learn about other skills.
Although I agree with most of your post, I disagree with your viewpoint of soma. Soma is not like a universally allowed cannibus, cocaine, heroin, LSD, or even alcohol drug - it is probably more in the range of using tylenol. Instead of headaches, soma curews bad thinking in almost an anti-depressant fashion. Since humanity cannot become addicted to soma, the government does not control humanity's every thought and action through soma (although maybe through other means). If you get a euphoria from jogging, helping others, or doing a favorite hobby, soma is a analogous in that it makes people happy, but without any side effects or financial burden.
I agree, the government cannot take away your sense of self. People still need to feel like they are an indvivdual, not a clone.
I like that no one is made without a purpose. It even makes the smallest one feel wanted.
I agree with your thoughts on soma. It is very disturbing how easy it is for the government to control its people.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I found the same similarity with no individuality in either society, and it's obviously good that everybody has a place in society, and everybody is happy and healthy. I also agree that soma is a dangerous drug. Although it poses no health threat, it is just one more way that the government controls the lives of its citizens.
Post a Comment