Thursday, March 27, 2008
Thomas More's Utopia: Book 1
The first book of Utopia generated the ideas that would come forward in More's perfect world. More stressed the idea that capital punishishment should not be used, because human law should never conquer divine law. More believed that the punishment should be to give back the stolen item and live a life of hard work which both helps society and the individual who is no longer killed. The second view is that a king is better off governing rich people than being rich himself. Than all of the people are content and trustful in their modest king. The third concept was that a king cannot properly govern two countries. He will either ignore one and turn the country to turmoil while on prospers, or the king will only half serve both countries. Fourth and last More states that until land is not owned there will always be evil. I do not agree to this because there will always be a source of evil as long as humans are involved. If people are not fighting over land they will fight over food or water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your fourth concept was the only one you explained your position on. The others you simply stated More's concepts. I did agree with you that owning land is not evil but for a different reason. I said this society sounds too much like communism which does not work. For your next post, make sure you state your opinions on More's concepts. It makes for more interesting comments.
I agree with you that a king should give his people money. If he has all the money and his people are struggling to survive, they have no respect for him and may rebel. I also agree that he should only have one kingdom because his abilities are best used in a smaller area.
I agree with your ideas on thieves. If they were just killed, then it would eliminate the problem and not sovle it.
I agree with the land issue, there will always evil. As long as human emotions are involved.
I do agree with More on the fact that should include services of hard work to help the society. I also do not believe in Monarchy so the idea that the king is better off governing the rich, and not being very rich himself makes sence. I also do not agree with More claiming that everything should not be owned. I would want to have my own personal property and would not always want to lend or see things being taken from me, just because they are not just for me.
Thomas More is such a socialist, I mean really to heck with monarchy and democracy. Apparently socialism is the only way to go in the perfect world, but then again if it were a perfect world maybe the whole concept of something like communism would work out better. Hmmmmmm............ this is an interesting thought I'll have to ponder more on it
Post a Comment